Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy (belated) Easter to all of you who observe such holidays. To those who don't, if you got the weekend off, congrats.

Mine was spent in a pretty sporadic fashion; I slept for about 1 hour out of the first 48 of my time off, and I felt more awake and alive than I had all that week. It was nice to have some decent weather over the break; it got to about 80 degrees for one of the days, so I went for a walk. By our school is the Reynolda Gardens; it's free to the public, but open for only a few hours each day. The greenhouses are nice, and the best part of them is the cactus collection. I'll have to be sure to take some photos when I get a chance to go back, especially when everything is in full bloom. The weeping cherry trees were especially peaceful to watch in the breeze...

My night life wasn't as exciting as it could be, given that most of the clubbing-type folk were gone. However, I did spend it with a great friend enjoying vodka-pineapple smoothies and tequila shots (they did not partake in the tequila, however) while watching Hot Fuzz and Bad Boys.

Yesterday, I had the chance to see Horton Hears a Who, which, to my surprise, was enjoyable. I did not exactly look forward to seeing it when I started the venture, but I figured it couldn't be as big a waste of money as the failure known as Beowulf. Don't get me wrong, the book was fantastic, but the only good part of the film was how they portrayed Grendel. Having Crispin Glover play him was the only smart thing about the movie.

ANYWHO, Horton was decent. It was funny, stayed true in an overall sense to the book (I've never read the book, but so what?), and even kept my attention. I can definitely see why it's number 1 in the box office; it's definitely better than most of the garbage that's being dumped on us.

No comments: